What Is Recovery Coaching?
Recovery coaching is a supplemental tool in recovery that works on identifying where you're still stuck, and on setting practical goals to get you 'unstuck'. We do this through investigating where your eating disorder is still present in terms of your beliefs, actions and day-to-day habits, and work together on implementing practical tasks and changes to target the ED heads-on. Coaching is action-oriented, high-intensity and highly collaborative. We are happy to work with your team in a multidisciplinary manner.
Compared to most forms of traditional therapy, coaching focuses on the 'here and now', and on specific goal setting ("doing over thinking about doing"). Coaching is not licensed to treat or diagnose mental illnesses, nor does it replace medical treatment for an eating disorder. Instead, coaching works as a support tool to help you stay accountable, figure out where you're still stuck, how to progress towards your goals, and overall be a safe, supportive space that helps you move towards full recovery.
The Let's Recover Approach:
• Size-Inclusive (HAES-Informed): Eating disorders comes in all shapes an sizes, and so does recovery. We work with you to help your body find it's natural set point weight range, rather than overly focusing on BMI or goal weights (beyond minimums).
• 'All Foods Fit': We reject diet culture and do not believe in 'good' or 'bad' foods. We encourage full food freedom, implementation over taking away, and truly giving in to your mental and physical hunger.
• Food First-Approach: You can not talk your way out of an eating disorder, you need to eat your way out of it too!
• Science-Backed: We view eating disorders through a bio-psychological lens, and have a great understanding of the psychological, metabolic and wider physical complications and manifestations of the condition (see "view of eating disorders").
• Multidisciplinary: We are happy to work with your wider team, incl. doctors, dieticians, therapists and caregivers.
• Reactive Hunger-Informed: We are well-informed about reactive hunger and 'all in' approaches to recovery, and will productively support you through this.
• Action-Oriented: Being trained in ACT (Acceptance- and commitment therapy) and coaching, our approach emphasises action and goal setting (doing over thinking about doing!) to help you take practical steps towards full recovery.
• Holistic & Individualised: We see the person, not just the illness, and work with you on separating the two. The approach is uniquely tailored for each individual, and we work together to find a strategy that works best for you.
• Commitment To Ongoing Learning: We believe that learning never really ends. We are regularly attending supervision, collaborating with other professionals, attending continued professional development courses, webinars and meetings, and keep up-to-date with the latest science.